Building Permits


Development Permits are required if you are changing the use of the property or the foot print of buildings on your property (ie: adding anything new or removing structures - removal requires a Demolition Permit) and are subject to the Zoning Bylaw No. 02/14 and provincial legislation. Approved permits are provided yearly to SAMA (Saskatchewan Assessment Management Agency). Any changes may affect your assessment value, which affects your property taxes. 

Saskatchewan Assessment Management Association (SAMA) Maintenance Fee (Note:  Applicable to Building, Development & Demolition Permits-Only charged once per project, if demolition and building development permits approved in same year, only one SAMA fee) 

Professional Building Inspections Brochure

Development permits & Building Permits are required for the following:

  • New construction
  • Garages, carports, and boat houses
  • Decks and platforms more than 300 mm (12”) above ground level
  • RTM, modular and manufactured homes
  • Renovations and alterations affecting structural members or safety features (e.g. bedroom windows)
  • Additions to existing buildings
  • Basement development
  • Secondary suites
  • Accessory buildings greater than 10 m²
  • Fireplaces, wood stoves and heaters
  • Retaining walls that could affect a structure or are near a property
  • Foundation repairs or replacements
  • Roof replacements
  • Solar panels that are roof mount
  • Change to the use of the building
  • Temporary buildings or structures
  • Relocating an existing building
  • Remedying an unsafe condition or fire inspection order
  • Demolishing a building

 Permits NOT typically required for: please call if you are unsure (306) 642-5003

  • Driveways, sidewalks, and parking lots
  • Replacement of materials like shingles or siding, or cosmetic upgrades not affecting structural members or safety features
  • Accessory buildings less than 10 m² (e.g. garden sheds or tool sheds); but maximum of one per lot.


 The Town of Assiniboia requires application for Fence Permit Package, click here. 

We have put together full information packages with required permit documents for the most common permit applications below:  


 Residential Building Permit PACKAGES 

Other information to review before applying:


Commercial Building Permit

What you will need to submit:

Commercial Permit Forms:


Demolition / Move a Building Permit




Official Community Plan Bylaw 01/14  (note this is a large file)

Zoning Bylaw No. 02/14     Zoning Map   

Building Bylaw 07/22   - New! May 10, 2022


Permit Fees:

Building Permit Fees

Demolition /Building Move Permit                                                $50.00

SAMA Fee**                                                                                      $25.00

Development Permit                                                                       $50.00

Discretionary Use Application                                                     $100.00


Water / Sewer Utility Service Line Repair/  Replacement  - Sidewalk Concrete $16.50 sq/ft

Water / Sewer Utility Service Line Repair/ Replacement – Asphalt $7.50 sq/ft



Completed Permit applications can be submitted via email at: or drop off at the Town Office, 131 3rd Ave West, Assiniboia, SK.

Should you have any questions about permits, please call : (306) 642-5003.  We are always happy to help!