Assiniboia began as the CPR rail line moved through south central Saskatchewan. The town sprang up literally overnight as lots were sold for the village on the 12th of October 1912. The new community grew quickly and was incorporated as a town in 1913. Assiniboia's name is taken from the Aboriginal name that the area had for countless generations. The name means "one who cooks with stones". The area where Assiniboia is now located was a traditional meeting area. It is now the center of the largest trading area in south central Saskatchewan, thus continuing the tradition of being an excellent location to meet with others.
For more information about the history of Assiniboia, please visit the Assiniboia and District Museum at 506 3rd Avenue West or call (306) 642-5353.