Assiniboia began as the CPR rail line moved through south central Saskatchewan. The town sprang up literally overnight as lots were sold for the village on the 12th of October 1912. The new community grew quickly and was incorporated as a town in 1913.
Assiniboia's name is taken from the Aboriginal name that the area had for countless generations. The name means "one who cooks with stones". The area where Assiniboia is now located was a traditional meeting area. It is now the center of the largest trading area in south central Saskatchewan, thus continuing the tradition of being an excellent location to meet with others.
For more information about the history of Assiniboia, please visit the Assiniboia and District Museum section within our website or call (306) 642-5353.
ASSINIBOIA'S COURT HOUSE
Assiniboia is home to one Provincial Heritage Property, the Assiniboia Court House on was designated as a PHP on February 15th, 1988.
The Assiniboia Court House is the last building in the series of smaller, prototypical designs to be constructed and did not receive a cupola element as the central feature of the roof. It is clad entirely in brick from Estevan, and trimmed with small amounts of Tyndall Stone. The entrance is framed by Doric columns topped with a small cornice and railing, and the windows form a regular pattern on the brick façade, evoking a Georgian Classical influence.
The court house is prominently situated on landscaped grounds at the south end of Assiniboia, closing the vista of Main Street and constitutes a major landmark in the community.